Optical illusions can be defined as this: An experience of seeming to see something that does not exist or that is other than it appears, or something that deceives the eye by appearing to be other than it is.
More importantly, according to Sandlot Science, “Illusions are misperceptions that are perceived by most people, and are based on a specific stimulus received under certain conditions.”
Even certain species of animals can be fooled in a similar of how a human is.
Think you can handle these curve balls we’re about to throw at your brain? Because these 35 illusions are going to blow your mind into orbit.
1. These squares are actually the same color. Don’t believe me? Hold your finger between the two shapes
2. Cross your eyes and you should be able to see a familiar face
3. Stare at this lady’s nose for 10 seconds, then blink rapidly while looking at a light surface. Her face will appear in full color.
4. These cars look like they’re different sizes….
Actually the same size.
5. These dots seem to change color and orbit the center. But focus your eyes on a single dot – there’s no rotating or color change at all.
6. Stare at the cross in the center and watch the blank spot…. cool right!?
7. This park in Paris looks like it has a giant 3D globe…
8. But it’s actually completely flat.
9. Which orange circle looks bigger?
10. Surprisingly, they’re the same size.
11. Stare at the yellow dot. Then, move your head closer to the screen and the pink rings will rotate.
12. You won’t believe it, but the squares marked ‘A’ and ‘B’ are actually the exact same shade of grey.
13. This demonstration proves it….
14. Look at this swirling for 30 seconds and then look at the Inception photo below.
15. The “Ames Room” illusion messes with our depth perception and is created by slanting the back wall of the room towards the camera and the ceiling downwards.
16. Slowly move your head towards image and the light in the middle will get brighter. Move your head away and the light will become weaker.
17. These yellow and blue blocks appear to move one after the other, right?
18. Stare at the center of the colored version, then wait for it to change to black and white.
19. All the dots on this image are white, but some appear black.
20. By manipulating the human brain and eyes, Brusspup is able to create amazing animations with nothing but a black card.
21. The dinosaurs’ eyes follow you wherever you go…
22. Akiyoshi Kitaoka uses geometrical shapes, brightness and color to create motion illusions. These images are NOT animated, but the human brain makes them appear so.
23. Same technique used here.
24. By layering multiple images on top of each other, photographers are able to create amazing two faced portraits.
25. Which way is this train moving? Look long enough or blink and your brain will change the direction.
26. Is the middle dancer spinning clockwise or counterclockwise? The answer is both.
27. Using clever design, artists like Ibride are able to create 3D art that look impossible.
28. Stare at the blinking green dot for a few seconds, and see what happens to the yellow dots…
29. Does this look like a face? Look closer….. It’s actually two people kissing.
30. At first, they look like 3 beautiful women…
Flip the image…. not so much.
31. The photograph of the Leaning Tower of Pisa on the right appears to lean more to the right. In reality, they’re identical photographs and the towers are parallel.
32. These horizontal lines appear to be sloping, but look long enough, and you’ll see that they’re parallel to one another.
33. These overlapping circles are actually perfectly round and don’t touch at all – can you see past the illusion?
34. The dots are not moving: it’s a static image and there is a total of 12 dots in the picture
Credit: Will Kerslake
35. Cover the sides of the hallway with your hands and the animation slows down, cover the middle and the animation speeds up.
Okay, now my head hurts… It’s pretty incredible how these simple illusions can easily trick your brain.
Let us know what you think in the comment section below and don’t forget to give this a share before you go!