You might know how detrimental pollution is to our environment, but after reading a few of these pollution facts you might have a better idea.
The adverse changes are not only damaging to the environment, they are damaging to our very own health. Pollution takes on many forms. It affects land, water, air, and other parts of the environment by contaminating them.
Temperature, light, and sound are also considered pollutants. It also affects an estimated 200 million people worldwide — and those effects can be devastating. Babies have been born with birth defects and IQ points have dropped by nearly 30 to 40 points in areas heavily affected according to Pure Earth.
With that said, seeing pollution and experiencing the effects of pollution are vastly different things. Living in conditions riddled with contaminants caused by pollution is beyond stressful. But maybe seeing it in pictures will help you think it in a different way.
Here are a few facts about pollution from across the world that’ll give you perspective.
1. Nearly 700 million Chinese people drink contaminated water
2. For every 1 million tons of oil that is shipped, 1 ton is spilled
3. If you spend one day in Beijing breathing the air, it has the same health effects as smoking 21 cigarettes
4. While Americans make up only 5% of the world’s population, they account for 30% of the world’s waste and use 25% of the world’s resources
5. 1 in every 8 deaths on Earth can be linked to air pollution
6. The pollution hovering above China is visible from space
7. Marine creatures swallow plastic bags because they think they are edible jellyfish
8. 14 billion pounds of garbage are dumped into the ocean every year and most of it is plastic
9. Breathing the air in Mumbai for one whole day is equivalent to smoking 100 cigarettes
10. 3.4 million people die each year because of water related problems
11. Russia’s Lake Karachay is the most polluted and contaminated lake in the world
12. In 2012, 49 million tons of waste from electronics were generated
13. Plastic bottles take approximately 500 years to decompose
14. A child dies every 8 seconds from contaminated water
15. Almost a third of the air pollution in San Francisco comes from China
Don’t forget to give this a like and a share on Facebook before you go.