If you’re looking for the best air purifier for your home you’ve come to the right place! Below we’ll be reviewing the top 7 air purifiers on the market.
Recent air filter statistics from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) showed that the air inside one’s home can be five to ten times dirtier than outside air, with Americans spending about an average of 90% of their lives indoors.
Air purifiers eliminate unhealthy and potentially hazardous contaminants in the air, such as dust, pollen, mold, and pet dander, not only making it easier to breathe, but enjoy overall improvement in health and well-being.
Those who suffer from respiratory allergies or occupy older homes can especially benefit from investing in an air purifier, as discomfort and the risk of illness will significantly decrease with routine use.
When researching potential air purifiers it’s important to look for HEPA filter technology.
HEPA stands for high-efficiency particulate air, and is a type of mechanical air filter that forces air through a fine mesh, trapping harmful pollen, pet dander, dust mite, and tobacco smoke particles and, with UV assistance, destroys them altogether.
A common misconception about air purifiers is their cost, which many assume to be too high.
In fact, there are a number of moderately priced air purifiers of all makes, models, and capacities available today, that are well worth the price tag in terms of exceptional health benefits.
Dyson Pure Cool Link
The Dyson Pure Cool Link Air Purifier is definitely on the pricier side, but considering its state-of-the-art features may be worth the investment.
Using a Wi-Fi-connected fan, the Dyson Pure Cool Link has a variety of sensors, a 360-degree HEPA filter, and monitor for indoor air quality, which automatically removes pollutants from the household environment.
With its sleek design and high-tech method of air purification, the Dyson Pure Cool Link is a great air purifier choice for sophisticated consumers.
- This air purifier removes up to 99.97 percent of allergens and pollutants that are as small as 0.3 microns.
- It also has a fan for warmer months.
- It links to an app by Dyson to monitor the air it purifies. This app will keep track of everything that goes on in the air around your home, or at least in the area where this air purifier sits.
- The filter does not last very long. Sometimes, it only lasts for about seven months. This occurrence happens even when the fan runs on lower settings.
- While the lightweight quality of this fan may appear to be a plus, there are concerns that it can easily be knocked over. Therefore, it is not meant to be used in a high-traffic area or in a location where people, namely children, move a lot.
- The plastic construction is rather fragile, which can be a problem when compounded with the previous concern.
If you want to read why others use this air purifier too, or want to buy one click here
Best for larger spaces and rooms of up to 1100 sq ft, the Alen BreatheSmart is a customizable air purifier boasting 4 HEPA filters and equal number of fan speeds to fit your household needs.
Featuring automatic smart sensors that quickly adjust to changes in the household atmosphere, such as an increase in pet dander, seasonal changes, and indoor pollutants, the Alen BreatheSmart is understandably praised for its intuitive operating system.
While the design itself is fairly no-nonsense and on the larger side, you can select from a variety of colors and styles, which is a definite aesthetic plus.
It’s also best for large and open living rooms up to 1100 square feet.
- This model comes in many colors, so it has a design that will fit almost any home’s décor. They also have multiple different packages to choose from.
- It claims to purify the air in a room in less than two hours.
- It does not make much noise due to the WhisperMax technology it possesses.
- Lifetime warranty
- There are concerns that it does not trap and purify larger particles, especially dust particles.
- The filter does not seem to trap many things to the naked eye.
- Noise develops over time when the device is switched over to lower speeds.
You can check out Alen BreatheSmart and buy one here
The GermGuardian 3-in-1
Featuring ultra-quiet technology combined with 3 speed controls, this compact air purifier captures 99.97% of dust particles, mold spores, and other allergens floating in the air.
Its odor eliminating power makes it exceptional for households with smokers or particularly bothersome mildew and pet odors.
With its slender and lightweight build, the GermGuardian is easily portable, with a simple understated appeal that won’t overwhelm a room’s decor.
With pricing starting at under $100, the GermGuardian’s overall effectiveness is matched only by its competitive price tag.
- This model has a True HEPA filter that traps up to 99.97 percent of dust and allergens. It also works with particles that are as small as 0.3 microns.
- It possesses UV-C lighting and Titanium Dioxide to kill airborne bacteria, viruses, germs, and mold spores.
- It can also reduce odors that come from smoking, cooking, and pets.
- The filter has to be replaced every six to eight months.
- This model also puts out fumes at first because of the Titanium Dioxide that can be rather noxious to people with asthma.
- Limited warranty.
Need a GermGuardian? You can buy one by clicking here
Airocide by NASA (Currently Unavailable)
Utilizing filterless NASA technology, this award-winning air purifier is as powerful as it is a work of art. Developed by NASA for onboard use in space shuttles and stations, The Airocide purifier is FDA-listed as a Class II Medical Device.
According to the Airocide site, unlike traditional air filters their purifiers completely destroy airborne organic matter, rather than just trapping it, eliminating even the smallest particles and gasses.
The Airocide isn’t the cheapest air purifier option, but certainly one of the most advanced of its kind. A unique wall mounting kit offers more purifier placement options, further complimenting the Airocide’s already appealing design.
This particular air purifier is currently unavailable, but we recommend the AeraMax 300 as another great option. (Review to follow)
A long-trusted brand, the Honeywell 50250-S True HEPA air purifier captures up to 99.97% of household particles as small as 0.3 microns, with additional carbon activated filters trapping larger dust, lint, and animal fur debris.
One notable benefit is that the long-life HEPA filter can be vacuumed to extend the filter life, meaning the average household will likely only have to replace the filter every 3-5 years.
Any guess work in the interim is eliminated by the Intelli-Check electronic filter indicator that alerts you when it’s time to vacuum or replace the filter.
While certainly utilitarian in it’s appearance, the Honeywell air purifier’s overall build is pleasantly small and compact, making for lightweight portability throughout the house.
Where it lacks in the Dyson and Airocide’s ultra modern design sensibilities, it more than makes up for in function and durability.
- The filter will last for three to five years with an extended life.
- Filters can be cleaned instead of simply replaced.
- This model will tell you when to clean or change it based on its Intelli-Check electronics.
- This model is noisy at higher settings.
- The blue light on the sensor can be rather disturbing at night.
- It emits a strong, saccharine, chemical odor at first that can be off-putting.
Looking to buy a Honeywell? You can get your hands on one by clicking here
Another dependable brand, the Whirlpool Whispure air purifier removes dust mites, pollen, smoke, and mold spores while operating at a whisper-soft volume.
It’s great for households with small children, babies, and noise-sensitive adults. The Whirlpool Whispure won’t make a sound while working overtime to keep your household free of harmful allergens.
Particles such as pet dander, ragweed, and other microscopic irritants are trapped and destroyed through the HEPA filter, improving overall air quality that could otherwise aggravate allergy and asthma symptoms.
The Whirlpool Whispure’s price range is comparable to that of the GermGuardian, adding it to the list of effective budget conscious air purifiers.
- This model filters a room full of air in 4.8 times per hour for a 500 square foot space.
- It has easy-to-use electronic controls.
- It has four fan speeds and sleep and turbo modes.
- This model may shake at higher settings.
- It is rather bulky.
- This model might start to make loud noises after a few months of constant use.
Read what others think of the Whirlpool Whispure, and buy one by clicking here
Developed by Coway, the AIRMEGA is a Wi-Fi equipped smart app enabled air purifier that allows you to control your AIRMEGA from any location via the convenient mobile app.
Equipped with two pre-filters and two Max2 filters, with smart mode (auto, sleep, and eco) features and real-time air quality monitoring, the AIRMEGA 300S covers all bases from one easy-to-use app you can download from your Apple or Android device.
The AIRMEGA can operate with or without Wi-Fi connection, and will not be interrupted should you lose connectivity.
Priced at around the same as the NASA Airocide, it’s evident that the more leading-edge an air purifier’s technology is, the higher the investment.
- The 300S has several modes, including an auto-speed and economy mode.
- The manufacturer claims it will cover up to 1,256 square feet.
- It also has a timer for one hour, four hours, and eight hours.
- The light on the front that indicates air quality can be rather disruptive at night.
- The sensor sensitivity is not as sensitive as some reviews claim.
- There are concerns that this model is pricier than other models that function better.
Want to read what others think of this blender? Read more reviews and buy one here
So what air purifier is the best?
Ultimately the best air purifier will combine cost effective pricing with expert technology, in a design that will blend seamlessly with your home interior.
You can’t really go wrong with any of these air purifiers, but the HEPA-filtered GermGuardian AC4825, with 3-in-1 air cleaning system, UV-C and odor reduction is truly the most bang for your buck.
Its powerful mold spore, dust mite, pollen, tobacco debris, and other indoor allergen trapping capability is exemplified by UV filtering that destroys harmful particles and prevents them from being released back into the air.
Its slender, lightweight build makes it easy to stand in a bedroom corner without drawing too much attention, and the quiet operating system assures a peaceful night’s sleep.
And with models starting out reasonably affordable, these air purifiers are equally gentle on your household budget.
** Customer reviews are used to aggregate pros and cons